The widespread use of drywall based on ease of use and a variety of subsequent finishing. The material can serve as a basis for the installation of partitions, slopes, and is also used to align the work area. Often the question arises about the use of such sheets when finishing tiles. With the advent of modern materials with moisture resistance, it has become possible, because tile is usually used to create the interior of a bathroom, toilet, kitchen, where humidity indicators are high. Using drywall, you can perfectly prepare the surface for finishing. The subsequent laying of tiles on drywall does not require any complicated operations.
Features of application of hkl together with a tile
Tiled elements are placed only on a flat platform to ensure the strength of the structure and give the finish a beautiful look. A few years ago, before laying the tiles, a gypsum composition or cement-sand type plaster was applied. However, this method of rough finishing combined high costs in the case of an uneven wall and a long processing time. Later, many masters began to use drywall under the tile instead of plaster.
When the ceramic tile on the drywall is laid, then there is no dirt and dust. And also it is not necessary to wait for the solution to dry, which speeds up the finishing process. However, before answering the question of how to lay tiles on drywall, you need to select the appropriate type of material.
How to choose the source material for finishing? The following types of plasterboard material are known:
- GKL - standard sheets that do not have distinctive characteristics. Find application at arrangement of partitions, alignment of walls in rooms. They are characterized by white or gray color.
- GVL - moisture resistant sheets that allows you to use it in wet conditions, when the moisture parameters do not change.
- GVLV - the material is supplemented with a hydrophobic impregnation, which affects the resistance of the material to high humidity. At the same time indicators of humidity may be unstable. Sheets are used in the repair of showers, bathrooms, kitchens, and terraces. The outer carton is made in green.
- GKLO - material with characteristics of resistance to fire. It is used at arrangement of saunas, in a bath where the high level of fire danger is observed. Sheets are pink in color.
Tile for drywall in the bathroom or other room where high humidity is possible, is mounted on moisture-proof sheets.
Advantages and disadvantages of technology
Tiling plasterboard is a method that is often used in practice. This is due to the many advantages of drywall:
- Universal material used in various types of finishes;
- The material is easily processed;
- You can lay the whole sheet on the wall or cut it into sections of the required size;
- Covering can be done by hand;
- No harmful chemical compounds are present in the material.
Choosing the technology of laying tiles on drywall, you reduce the repair time and reduce the complexity of the finishing process.
The minus of the material is the probability of warping sheets. This can be avoided by laying it on certain guides or using a grid for plaster.
To begin the process of facing, you should first decide how to fasten the sheets to the wall. You can do this using the frame method or glue them to the wall. For the frame, it is better to use a metal profile that is fixed with a gap of 40 cm. If you want to glue moisture resistant plasterboard to the surface, you must first align the existing hollows.
In the presence of the old facing there is a question of choosing the method of fastening sheets. If there is an old tile on the surface to be treated, then it will not be possible to glue the waterproof gypsum board onto the wall, so we make a frame. Initially, you need to remove the damaged tile. It is a rule that if more than 40% of the surface area is damaged, it is necessary to remove the entire tile.
If the old lining was made with paint or ordinary plaster, then you can simply remove this layer. When choosing a method of sticking sheets on the walls in the bathroom, you need to plaster the surface, aligning certain areas. Frame technology involves the application of an antiseptic primer.
After fixing the material, it is necessary to make the surface treatment of the sheets in order to later glue the tile onto the drywall with your own hands.
Stages of drywall processing
How to glue tiles on drywall, if it is already fixed. First, a primer is carried out, but first you can install a reinforced strip at the joints, if the humidity of the room is very high.
It is necessary to process this composition as the fibers of the material are strengthened, moisture absorption is reduced, the appearance of mold is excluded. Priming should be a composition that does not contain a solvent. The mixture is applied in two layers.
The next stage, when the preparation of drywall under the tile, begins after the soil dries. Now you need to putty sheets in the bathroom with their own hands. Do you need to putty before laying tiles on drywall in the bathroom? This question is asked by many who lay the usual tile. Putty the entire surface is in cases where you need to put on the box a reliable coating. Usually this happens in situations of using massive tiles on drywall.
In other cases, before you put the tile on the drywall, you need to putty the joints and areas where the screws are screwed.
The final stage of the sheet preparation is the priming of the putty layer. This is necessary to enhance adhesion. In this case, sticking ceramics in a bathroom or other room is much easier. After priming it is necessary to level the prepared hk-surface from the irregularities resulting from the application of the primer.
The choice of adhesive
Facing ceramic tiles involves the use of adhesive. Installation of tile material is carried out on liquid nails or glue. If you stick the tile on the liquid nails, you get a solid construction due to the high adhesion of the composition, but the tool has a high price.
Tile adhesive composition can be of two types:
- Cement based;
It is not advisable to glue ceramic tiles to drywall using cement glue in the toilet or bathroom because it is affected by water. The elastic composition is a dry powder that is diluted in water. It is necessary to choose the composition for interior work.
After answering the question "how to align the wall?" there is another question - how to glue tiles on drywall. First, the method of laying is determined, with or without seams. Principles of fixation:
- Prepare all the tools and material.
- Work begins from the bottom in the most visible corner or on the vertical axial strip in the center of the wall. In the second case, the extreme details look symmetrical.
- Using level, the marking is done.
- Glue is applied on the gypsum plasterboard with a trowel. Do not use a thick layer of glue, as it increases the load on the material.
- It is necessary to veneer in such a way that the part pressed its hands tightly to the wall.
- Removing glue residue with a damp cloth.
- In order to obtain beautiful high-quality seams, plastic crosses are used.
- The laid tile is cut by a tile cutter.
- After mounting the five rows, a break is made to adapt the material to the load.
- The correct installation is checked by level.
- After complete drying of the adhesive composition, grout the joints.
Hurry in the process of facing is not necessary. It should achieve a smooth installation, because then the room will look aesthetically pleasing. Many are interested in whether it is possible to glue tiles on the floor, if it is finished with plasterboard. In this case, operations on the floor are performed in the same manner.
Sometimes situations arise that need to remove some details. The question is how to remove the tiles from the drywall. It is impossible to do this carefully without damaging the drywall. You can put a spatula under the tile, drywall as a result of prying will not be damaged if the size of the parts does not exceed 100 sq. Cm. If the size of the tile is large, you can try to make a section cut together with a plasterboard material. Then make a patch and install it.
Applying plasterboard sheets, you can make a great base under the tile. Work on the installation of the frame or gluing tiles do not require special skills and knowledge. Performing all the steps of facing quality, you can end up with a beautiful interior and enjoy your own work.