The unusual mysterious interior can be created by painting the walls with nacre paint. The special pigment contained in its composition refracts the sunlight, which is why at different times of the day and with different lighting the walls will be slightly different. Some people like the rainbow effect, which creates pearl paint for walls, others admire the ability of the material to imitate the skin of a chameleon.
Pearlescent paint is made from pigment, water and acrylic resin. The basis of the pigment is nacre, extracted from sea shells or fish scales. It is crushed into powder and dissolved in an environmentally friendly acrylic resin. It dries quickly, without emitting harmful substances. In the composition there is ethyl alcohol, so the paint with the effect of nacre diluted with water. The paint has a high adhesion (that is, tenacity, adhesion) to the materials on which it is applied. The painted surface keeps an attractive look for a long time.
What is nacre?
Powder with a light reflecting pigment is diluted with water-based dyes, usually acrylic. The greater the concentration, the stronger and more varied the refraction of light will turn out. The pigment exists in the form of powder, paste or finished enamel. They are also added to varnish or wax. But working with it requires skills, otherwise lumps and a “spotty” uneven structure appear in the process of mixing. It is good because it is mixed with any acrylic paint, and color and saturation can be adjusted as desired.
Nacre is universal
Most decorative plasters either already contain components with mother of pearl, or the pigment is added to the plaster paint.
Especially successful is the coating of warm tones. A pigment has been created, thanks to which the decorative surface does not dazzle with bright tints even in direct sun, and as the vantage point changes, the rainbow gradually changes to haze.
Pearl grains are painted in yellow or gold. It gives softness, velvety.
Overflow paint will not hurt
The addition of nacre does not impair the basic properties of acrylic enamel. Special components create additional protection (anti-corrosion, antifungal or anti-putrid) without reducing the decorative effect.
Paint with the effect of mother of pearl is durable, resistant to natural factors. For this, it is chosen for the final decor of the interior or facade.
However, there is an exception. Only in the interior decoration using nacre with the effect of gold. And preferably not on the walls facing the sunny side - under the influence of ultraviolet gold background fades, tarnishes. Much stronger silver. This mother of pearl decorated interiors and external surfaces of the building.
The decor is different
Acrylic paint with mother of pearl is added to the decorative plaster. The ratio of the number of nacre and varnish gives a different decorative effect. The predominance of varnish disperses light more and gives off one shade. An impressive layer of lacquer makes possible only a slight glow of the layers.
The predominance of pearl paint in lacquer creates a brighter and deeper play. The paint color is on the sidelines, it gives only the desired shade of the glossy surface. But an excess of glitter or shine is tedious for the eyes and mind, therefore individual elements of the interior or small segments of the walls or the ceiling are accentuated in this way.
With a slight addition of nacre in lacquer, the surface plays with new shades and colors. Mother of pearl gives a soft mysterious shimmer, creating harmony and comfort.
Experimenting, you can always choose a suitable option for yourself.
Painting and toning: what to do?
Paint with the effect of nacre is applied with ordinary painting tools.
- Roller, preferably fur, with a thin short nap is convenient to decorate large areas. The drawing is rough, embossed, but for a large format it proportionally enhances the shine of the texture. Paint is distributed quickly and evenly.
- Sponge - foam allows you to get beautiful stains on the surface. The paint is applied by pressing or in a circular motion.
- The brush is used for painting small areas: joints of walls and ceilings, hard-to-reach or difficult-to-relief segments. She draws with nacre individual fragments on which they want to focus attention (frames, small object of composition).
- The spray gun is filled with pre-made composition containing not more than 40% water. With a higher water content, the paint does not keep well, the protective properties (for example, anti-corrosion) will deteriorate.
- A brush (or brush) with sufficiently stiff bristles gives a texture similar to a bird feather overflow.
- The spatula forms a simple structure of decorative plaster.
How to apply a coating?
Pearl paint for walls is applied using the same technology as other acrylic compositions. The main steps are:
- The surface for painting is thoroughly cleaned from dirt and other layers, washed, dried. Cracks on a tree are filled, concrete is plastered.
- The surface is primed, completely dries.
- Paint is applied; Two layers are made to obtain a quality result.
- If only part of the surface will be painted, the unpainted area is covered with masking tape at the time of work and drying.
The process is not very complicated, and with some skill can be performed independently.
Sand dune in your home
Pearl paint with sand is very interesting for decoration. It is chosen by fans of oriental style, classic, techno. But unlike decorative plaster, such paint emphasizes all the flaws of the walls: obvious flaws, irregularities. Therefore, the preparatory stage is especially important - the walls should be completely flat and smooth.
They put two layers of soil: acrylic deep penetration and special quartz. Roller distribute the paint-substrate of the selected color. Brush evenly put on the wall a little sand, after which it is smoothed, creating the necessary decorative effect. The technology is not too complicated, but it is better to consult a specialist.
These simple tips may help those who are attracted to the paint with the effect of mother of pearl:
- A room painted with dark or neutral paint will be enlivened by a simple repeating motif (leaves, figures, pattern). The required stencil template is made on which mother-of-pearl is applied. Shortly pressed to the right place on the surface.
- Pearl coating attracts dust, does not like drafts.
- If the base, especially nitro paint or lacquer, is chosen unprofessionally, the mother of pearl will quickly lose its luster and shine.
Pearl paint for walls is very beautiful and aesthetic. It is worth the effort to decorate just such a coating of your home. The flickering walls in the room look really mysterious and rich. The decor is infinitely varied, and the effect of novelty will be appreciated by those who are fed up with traditional smooth surfaces.